• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TravoltaWatchesYou

Alt account
Banned
Aug 24, 2019
I'm fine with service animals, people with fake "support" animals can fuck off. I don't need you to bring your dirty ass animal into a restaurant or airplane just because you say you have anxiety. I have anxiety, but I'm not bringing my cat with me to shed his fur all over your spaghetti.

Anyway, service animals are great.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Having grown up with them walking past my front door miniature horses like Shetland Ponies are the most docile and gentle things you can imagine.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

Nah, it's funny now. In the winter I had to go out feed the pony(grain and hay). I also had to breakup the ice in the water trough. So took a bucket of hot water out to thaw/break up the ice in the trough. Then I put out the bucket of feed and a slab of hay. Then my young dumb self was like "I should put the feed near the water, so the pony knows the water isn't frozen". When I picked up the feed bucket the pony bit me right on the chest.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Nah, it's funny now. In the winter I had to go out feed the pony(grain and hay). I also had to breakup the ice in the water trough. So took a bucket of hot water out to thaw/break up the ice in the trough. Then I put out the bucket of feed and a slab of hay. Then my young dumb self was like "I should put the feed near the water, so the pony knows the water isn't frozen". When I picked up the feed bucket the pony bit me right on the chest.
Lmao. They can certainly be quite indignant and obstinate at times.

Also, never leave shit shovelling for a few days. Remember being a lazy teen and thinking I'd just do it at the end of the week. Took me hours into the night. So. Much. Shit.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. They can certainly be quite indignant and obstinate at times.

Also, never leave shit shovelling for a few days. Remember being a lazy teen and thinking I'd just do it at the end of the week. Took me hours into the night. So. Much. Shit.

Yeah, shit adds up. lol

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
the-boys-4.jpg
Mildly terrifying

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
I had no idea miniature horses could be service animals. I thought this was going to be someone abusing the system, but her reasoning makes a lot of sense. Good for her!

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I had no idea miniature horses could be service animals. I thought this was going to be someone abusing the system, but her reasoning makes a lot of sense. Good for her!
any animal can be a service animal. some are better and more suitable than others.

my cat could be my service animal. a service animal isn't just one that helps guide blind people around. a service animal can be there just to provide comfort to help calm the owner down during a panic attack, for example.

a lot of people abuse this though. people want to bring their pet with them everywhere so will get them registered as a service animal. it severely damages the reputation of genuine service animals which might lead to a situation where someone refuses a blind person entry (which is illegal). an animal that hasn't been professional trained might for example do the toilet whenever it feels like it but a professional animal will try wait. professional guide dogs are trained to snap right into work mode as soon as their harness goes on. if you put a harness on your pet dog it won't know the difference so will just behave as normal which can cause problems in situations that a normal pet wouldn't be in.

Last edited:

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Yeah man, fuck blind people.

On topic it's no different than a dog and the longer life span is actually an issue I hadn't thought about. I also didn't know horses could be trained to be service animals for the blind. That's super cool.

I think there's quite a gap between "just get a dog" and fuck blind people.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Is there anyway to insure the support horse won't just shit/piss while on the plane?

Walking a dog is a viable option to ensure this doesn't happen mid flight, but can you do this with a horse?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's it like checking in a horse at a terminal?

They make me go through the security checkpoint like everyone else, and they'll take the horse from me. They walk her through, and they check her in.

Walking through TSA security like
tumblr_psbxkqPBOG1v72ye8o2_r1_500.gif

Joking aside this is one of the few service animals that I kinda get.

1. It's not a full size horse
2. Longevity is actually extremely great for training and bond building

This isn't a "I can't fly without my emotional support hedgehog" situation

Last edited:

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah mini horses can be legit certified and trained service animals along woth dogs. Those are the only two I'm aware of.

Someone using a mini horse as a service animal is not abusing the system and therefore should be accommodated.

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
Is there anyway to insure the support horse won't just shit/piss while on the plane?

Walking a dog is a viable option to ensure this doesn't happen mid flight, but can you do this with a horse?

This is brought up in the article where she takes the horse to a handicap bathroom stall and trained the horse to go in a bag.

As it seems there isn't a place for horses to go like services dogs at airports. It's one of those things were the human has to think ahead and plan for these things before taking a trip.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
This is brought up in the article where she takes the horse to a handicap bathroom stall and trained the horse to go in a bag.

As it seems there isn't a place for horses to go like services dogs at airports. It's one of those things were the human has to think ahead and plan for these things before taking a trip.
Didn't know you could train a horse to do that. Whenever I think of horses I'm always kind of drawn into thinking how they just kinda shit whenever they want, LOL.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had absolutely no idea that horses could do that!

Thanks to OP and some people in this thread for the great deal of informations in here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Any possible inconvenience I might get by a miniature horse in the plane, is nothing compared to the challenges of living blind. So I really have nothing to complain about this. That said, I don't fly so it's not like I'm going be in such situation to begin with.

Oct 26, 2017
I remember when I first learned about mini horses as service animals is that sometimes they'll put tiny sneakers on the hooves so they don't scuff up floors.

Super cute.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Never would have occurred to me that horses would be a viable alternative to dogs. Surely pigs would be a good option too, they're pretty smart. Or dolphins.

Honestly, mini horses are a pretty good alternative and they live a lot longer than a dog. We've got a mini at my barn that isn't any bigger than a German Shepherd. She's cute as hell.

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, I would rather have dedicated human personnel whose job it is to help those that have service animals in cargo and need assistance .

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting to board a flight once and noticed this woman with a parrot on her shoulder walking around. People were interacting with it, petting it, she was having a grand time showing off that parrot. Birds kind of freak me out especially big ones but they don't bother me enough to really care, I just keep my distance. I blew it off as just someone who bothered to go through security to see their kid off or something.

Got on that flight and 20 minutes in....SQUAAAWWWWWWWWWWK! SQUAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWK!

That fucking thing chirped and squawked every few minutes for two and a half hours, I couldn't believe it was just in the cabin with us. Nobody said a goddamn word and I was just on edge the whole time waiting for that thing to get weird and fly around attacking everyone with it's sharp-ass beak and talons.